whole 30 in 60 seconds....


i've done the whole 30 challenge on my own before--for nearly 3 months. i thought it was going to be super tough, but once the first week flew by i found myself really liking it. i liked the results--namely setting new personal bests at the gym. i felt stronger and less attached to my previous food behaviors. plus there weren't happy hour tabs to pay and eating out on a whim due to being lazy...it felt like i had my shit together.


well, thanks to kelly and rachel at the gym, the whole 30 challenge is finally happening. i had introduced the idea a year ago but it wasn't the right time. nearly 65 people are signed up--each person put $30 into the pool, yeppers, that's almost $2000 up for grabs...at the end of the 30 days, those who have stuck to the rules will get at least $30 back. if people fail, their money will be split up by all who accomplished the mission--eating CLEAN--no sugar,alcohol, dairy, grains, legumes, no honey or sweeteners--no chewing gum. to some this sounds incredibly drastic--but here's the deal--it's 30 days. doesn't it seem unhealthy to think that we couldn't go without a food item for 30 days? i remember trying to fathom how i would live without popcorn--given that i've eaten it nearly every day for years!!! but once i realized the emotional connection i had to that pattern it seemed far less potent. the addiction slowly dissipated. sometimes those in our life don't understand why would would want to do this...and i don't always have a great explanation other than-- this is the one body i get...the one life i get. i want to feel healthy. feeling healthy usually makes me feel far happier...and quite frankly, struggling with depression tends to make me a big fan of happy--not to mention i do it to give myself a feeling of accomplishment. yes i can is powerful. i am stronger than i think. below is a "nutrition in 60 seconds" explanation that was taken from the whole 30 website. nutrition is really important to me. food is our fuel and we all deserve to use the premium, high-octaine kind. don't forget--your body is your temple. 




Nutrition in 60 Seconds


I eat real food – fresh, natural food like meat, vegetables and fruit.  I choose foods that are nutrient-dense, with lots of naturally occurring vitamins and minerals, over foods that have more calories but less nutrition.  And food quality is important – I’m careful about where my meat, seafood and eggs come from, and buy organic local produce as often as possible.


This is not a “diet” – I eat as much as I need to maintain strength, energy, activity levels and a healthy body weight.  I aim for well-balanced nutrition, so I eat both animals and a significant amount of plants.  I’m not lacking carbohydrates – I just get them from vegetables and fruits instead of bread, cereal or pasta.  And my meals are probably higher in fat than you’d imagine, but fat is a healthy source of energy when it comes from high-quality foods like avocado, coconut and grass-fed beef.


Eating like this is ideal for maintaining a healthy metabolism and reducing inflammation within the body.  It’s good for body composition, energy levels, sleep quality, mental attitude and quality of life.  It helps eliminate sugar cravings and reestablishes a healthy relationship with food.  It also works to minimize your risk for a whole host of lifestyle diseases and conditions, like diabetes, heart attack, stroke and autoimmune.

Comments