casts are a blast

i was able to see my x-ray for the first time.
it was crazy. there was a very apparent fracture. but the dr. was nonchalant about it and said that as long as it wasn't in the joint things would be good. as in i won't need surgery. sigh of relief.
she said that it would likely be about 3 months before i would be able to run on it...which sounds like an eternity but i realize it could be much worse.
one option was to cast it for a couple weeks. the other, wear the air cast...which would allow me to shower and rotate my ankle. the freedom was appealing but i opted for the cast. i know myself. it was the smart move.
the appointment was pretty systematic. you come in...they diagnose you and then order your treatment plan. it felt like an orthopedic drive thru.
in casting room b, kirk the caster, didn't say a word to me the first 5 minutes. and i did the same. hospitals and dr's offices have such weird lighting. you either feel as though you are going to be interrogated or like you are on stage. casting room b had stage lighting, but i certainly did not feel like performing. luckily there was an audience of one and he didn't seem to notice i was there.
looking around the room a row of colors: green, orange, light blue, dark blue, purple, black caught my attention. it made me feel like i was a little kid again...getting to pick the color of my cast was something i never thought i'd have to do...especially when i made it past 18. but alas, there i was with options that looked an awful lot like a handful of skittles. obviously i went thru each one in my head....pretending that it was hard for me to decide, when it had really been love at first sight.
it was a deep blue, not navy. more indigo like. not sure what i would call it (a game i often play) maybe something like blueberry dusk (two things i heart mucho!)
eventually Sir-Cast-A-Lot asked me to place my foot on a metal rod like thing and started wrapping away. next was the wet casting material. there were scissors and smoothing out the material. at one point it seemed as though my chance to pick my cast color would be nonexistent.
that's when he read my mind, "so we haven't even talked about colors" my face lit up and blurted out, the dark blue one please. he grabbed a couple packages and started the finishing layer of deep blue.
watching the blue being spun around the cast, which had swallowed my calve, all to protect my foot, was oddly calming.
just wish my foot could have been soothed by the whole process but it was sad i could tell. it has never had to hibernate before.
we conversed about speeding tickets and how he came to be in the job he has. and then he asked the infamous question. "so how did you hurt your foot"

Comments

  1. Hi there, did you volunteer for the cast? I currently have one with 4 weeks to go 3 days down and I want to rip it off! How are you feeling? Does your foot throb at all? It sounds like we both got the same color,lol. Well, feel free to email me if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given my personality I felt the cast would be best. That said, yesterday was my 2nd full day with it on and I wanted to saw it off.
    Yeah, it throbs but mostly when I don't elevate it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well you are strong willed because I would have lied and opted out of the cast! Yes, I think the key is to keep it elevated and i bought a cast shower cover online so waiting for that to come and still can't find a comfy position for sleeping,ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! On Saturday I used a garbage bag since hanging my foot out the shower did NOT work well. ha ha! (it will do the trick for now)
    The other night, I didn't sleep well b/c I was trying to toss and turn but that darn cast seemed to anchor me.
    Was on it too much this weekend and am paying for it.
    What did you do to your foot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, thats what I have been doing and I think half the water goes in the shower and half goes out! I hope the shower cover comes today, let me know if you want the link.
    Anchor is a good word, I still can't get used to it at night and my other foot hits into it or rubs against the cast and wakes me up. Aww, thats not good,tsk tsk.
    I will tell you if you promise not to laugh. I recently turned 30 and and broke my foot all in the same month, I feel old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I laugh at someone else when I fractured my foot at a wedding dance?!
    The garbage bag trick didn't work so well today. Think I pushed the envelope a bit too far. Oops!
    That is exactly what happens, the cast hits my other foot and then I wake up.
    Not to mention, I just turned 30 in Feb so I have had "feeling old" thoughts far too often recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, how did you do that?
    HAHA, thats not good. That cover better come in the mail today!
    YES, what a pain! I think I am going to try and wear sweat pants to sleep at night for some padding and see of that helps.
    I am glad I am not the only one feeling old at 30, everyone is like 30 is the new 20!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you read the post that explains how it happened?
    So how did you break your foot? If you are to embarrassed you can email the story to ex3brent@gmail.com.
    I'm just super glad that it isn't hot right now. A sweaty cast would be gross!
    I think I'm going to throw a "cast off" party as soon as I get this off. I'll have to make sure there is no dancing! ha ha!
    While I may be getting older, I'm kind of happy to hear that I'm still bustin' a move at weddings...even if that means I might bust my foot. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment