page 3: siblings...and the things they teach us

image by nikki mcclure


the holidays often bring families together. for some this is the most joyous part... for others it can be the downfall. it's been quite a few years since i spent holidays with my immediate family. we live in different zip codes. we have different lives. in the past, i admittedly became anxious about family get togethers. that saying "i love you but right now i don't like you" you hear in movies...yeah, i'm pretty sure that is a common sentiment felt by most siblings about their siblings...and let's be honest, parents.


when i attended debbie's service(back in december) i learned that she was to meet up with estranged siblings over christmas, including a sister she had not seen in years. it broke my heart though i was glad to hear they had made contact. it made me think of my own siblings. it can be both advantageous and detrimental when someone has known you through the "thick" parts of life. evolution is tricky like that...because whether you accept it or not, many people change. grow out of their pain or frustration, into a peaceful being, but if you only choose to see the thorns instead of the rose, your interactions will be prickly at best. 
the 4 of us are all different of course but definitely related. my little brother and i get told we look alike often.as i get older i recognize more and more how lucky i am to have these souls in my life. though we don't always (if ever) see eye to eye or vote for the same candidate, they are part of me.
my little brother and i would fight for hours but were secretly best buds. we had each others backs. we still do... most of the time. granted the road has been rough but like anything that's worth more than silver and gold, you work through it. i realize that only children dont know any different but i am glad not to be one. it's so fun having people to reminisce with. be annoyed by. learn from. feel sheltered,challenged, and encouraged by.it was also fun to have people to build forts with...

Comments

  1. this made me smile. my sister can push my buttons better than anyone (that's right-- even better than Jason), but my life would be over with if I ever had to go on living without her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more April...my family knows how to push my buttons for sure, but I would be forever crushed if they weren't in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment