bridge to brews-portland 4/17/11

it's not easy to run on stilts...luckily she was just there to answer questions. thus the giant ? she is holding


everyone waiting around for the event to start. gorgeous portland morning


the main reason i do events. to see all the awesome spandex designs that people  ACTUALLY wear. who doesn't love polka dots?


i woke up at 6 to make some eggs and veggies. my knees were pretty creaky but i figured a run would actually help...i left the house around 7:30 as they stressed that there was no parking near the event. granted, there wasn't much but i found a spot with ease. i stayed in my warm car and cranked up the music, letting the sun soak into my pores. i grabbed a handful of swedish fish, enjoying each one with my eyes closed.   after the last one was chewed up and safely in my belly i walked down to the event. what a gorgeous portland morning. crisp but sunny...and DRY! there were a lot of people. since i go to most events alone, which can be a bummer, i tend to keep to myself. it's not that i make an effort to do this...but most people have their running buddies or groupies and don't have room for a new friend. while i do wish that i had someone that loved me and supported me at my events, it will happen when it is supposed to. ultimately, being solo allows me to observe and absorb the experience on a different level. i take pictures and simply watch people.
the event was put together well. i had wanted to do the 10k but it was sold out so i settled for the 8k. next year i will be sure to sign up early! i think another mile would have been fine...
the run started...my legs were stiff. i decided to use my phone as my music source. this was not a good idea. i had also decided to wear my zip up hoodie since i was sore and cold when the run started. bad idea #2. i run warm and know this...duh emilee! one funny thing that came from wearing my zip up hoodie was that i had forgotten there was change in one of my pockets...i only realized this once i saw people looking back at me...it sounded a little like jingle bells and a lot like ANNOYING. i ended up donating the change to the road. i realize it is littering in a cents...ha ha...get it? but decided someone would enjoy finding a few bits of change as they walked the streets of portland. that is justification at its best. at one point i forgot it was a recovery run and tried to push myself. more so because i wanted it to be over but also because i need to learn new thresholds. especially in regards to running. it just seems like i stay at one pace the whole time. if it were a quicker pace, i would be ok....but it's not. i eventually finished and was sad that i didn't get a medal. the beer that i had been telling myself i was running for was no longer appealing. something about it being 10 am and the long line to get to the beer was off putting. i didn't even drink a mimosa after the half marathon the day before...and now no beer?
what is wrong with me?
i instead settled for another round of eggs and some more swedish fish. sometimes i feel like i get stuck on eat and repeat mode.  keep it simple, right?  ha ha!

Comments