vanilla ice---bath

you can't see the ice cubes floating, but they were in there



i haven't been the best about running. i also haven't been the best at warding off colds and allergies. this is not like me. i'm usually pretty damn healthy. i realize i live in "allergy valley" but don't succumb to multiple colds in a season. i get a good hard and swift kick to my immune system and i'm back at it. prior to kick off on super bowl sunday i ran a 10k that i named the "pre game 10k" for some reason i like to name my runs. 


i managed to do one more workout during my birthday week but wasn't feeling very well. figured it was just a case of being busy and a few allergies. 
that next weekend (feb 11-13th) i decided spend time with my cat in portland-- relaxing. knowing that i had a half marathon to run the next weekend i was worried that i hadn't trained enough (b/c i never do) and  managed to convince myself it would be wise to do one more long run...i would then focus on crossfit workouts during the week.
so i set out for a 10 mile run having stretched before. i wore my reco fit calve compression socks as always.
immediately i felt stiff.of course i don't train loyally so i chalked it up to "what did you expect" i got about 5 miles in and felt like i might need to take a knife to my calves fearing they would explode otherwise. but i kept on going, getting more and more frustrated. the last half was hilly...and i kicked myself for not having planned the route better. 
towards the end of the run i had to be creative to get that last 3/4 of a mile in...and by creative i mean i did a 'loop'--- nothing fun or creative about that. the last .2 miles were so painful i was hoping a tri-met bus would bump me" hard enough to make the pain in my legs be an after thought. 
when i arrived home, i immediately began triage. boil water, get ice cubes, put on hooded sweatshirt, use the foam roller; i grabbed a bite of an apple and some deli chicken meat. once the water boiled, i made myself a nice cup of muscle recovery tea, by none other than Yogi tea...and headed to draw an ice bath. 
i usually turn the water to luke warm just so i can sit down without screaming. then, i put on my knit cap and tie up the hood of my sweatshirt to keep all the heat in. i also fill up a pitcher of very warm water. i will tell you why later. 
then, i turn the water to cold and on full speed. i sit in my swimsuit bottoms and sip on my tea. it doesn't feel intolerable until it hits my feet. that is where the warm water comes into play. i pour just a little bit on them and they are good for another minute or so. i wait for the water to rise to just over my hips and then i immediately turn it off. next, i pour in the ice cubes. what was hilarious is that i had done the polar plunge the weekend before but i was seriously struggling to stay immersed in the bath. i poured warm water, sipped on my tea, and shivered-violently. something felt off. i was SOOOO sore. 
i sit in the tub for about 25 minutes. then i attempt to stand up but can now hardly move. ughhh....


and so the story goes. i followed up with a warm bath and then a warm shower. when i got  through with all of that, i rolled out my calves and thighs again and tried to take a little nap. 
when i woke up, nothing seemed to have worked...i was as sore as ever. my body was telling me something that i was choosing to label "being out of shape" instead of realizing that i was in fact, getting sick. 

Comments