the faces you'll go





anyone who knows me well knows i struggle immensely with pictures of myself. not sure when it started but it has not stopped. often it is the whole picture that is a problem but more than anything it's my face. i truly can't explain the discomfort i experience when i see what I thought had looked like a pretty face staring back at me in a mirror-- only to be trapped in a picture looking every bit of wrong . my first reaction is usually a giant knot in my stomach, next is my hand reaching for the delete button or crumpling the stiff glossy paper into a giant photo ball.
a few years ago it occurred to me that someday i might get married...maybe. and i realized it would be sad to hate the photos. so i decided to start a project i have coined photo therapy...
i figured if I took enough pictures maybe i would like one...boy oh boy was the first session hard. i managed to get a few that were tolerable.
i found it to be easier when I felt lean and fit...and winter is always harder since i am more pale. the pictures i have included are all pictures i really want to like but just can't seem to. i tried to be nice to myself but it was not working so...i said just post them for all 3 people who read your blog to see. put them out there so they don't have power over you.
not sure if this is another layer of the therapy but i think it's important to be  open to trying new things.


what triggered this post is that the other night my friend at the gym who regularly gives me crap made a ' joke' that involved calling my face...nasty.
i remember staring at him...in total shock...part of me was puzzled as to why he said that statement...it felt soooo specific....
and then i wondered if he was psychic...and could read my mind and what i so often feel. 

Comments

  1. Arrghhh! Seeing those photos really makes me want to come see you. It's decided. If our stupid government representatives shut down our government after the 18th (which I hear they might) and if I am forced to take a vacation (which I probably would be) I'm taking a trip to Portland.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment