the call heard around the world and felt in my heart

dear universe, it's emilee...yeah, i am just calling to say i heart NYC...if you could please tell my boss i won't be in on monday or ever again, it would be greatly appreciated. 




this was the call heard around the world. the official announcement that NYC had taken my heart captive. call it lust, call it love at first sight, or just call it exactly what i needed...i was smitten as a kitten...or a giant subway rat (i did see a couple) 
the beautiful thing about love is that it hits you when you least expect it. i certainly didn't anticipate leaving NYC with a renewed sense of self, a thirst to  create and be creative,so strong,i haven't been able to quench it since. it's not just NYC that i loved; i loved the way i FELT there, too. granted, it was a short term stay and my visitor status allowed my observations to be infused with a child like innocence. there was no past there. no home i had once lived in. it felt pure...like freshly fallen snow...
and...it felt strangely normal. of course, there were some "not so normal things"...for example, i saw a movie being filmed. and walked beside sky scrapers that looked liked ladders to the sky, they also made me drool; how they are constructed and designed--the pure optimization of limited space. it made me feel enclosed, but not closed off. the world was all around me...i was fascinated. 
people smiled and said please and thank you. the girl operating the register when i purchased lunch gasped at my mitten/glove combo. she said,"girl, i love those mitten-gloves. i needs to get me some of those so i can be texting and not have to take my mittens off, cuz damn it's cold!!!!!!!!!!"


and i just smiled and thought...we are soo very similar-you and i. and it's the truth. we form opinions soo strong and i am beginning to realize the strength of my own. looking back i was prepared to be ready to back hand everyone--- because they would, of course, be trying to steal my purse, right? not at all prepared for a fellow subway patron tapping me on my shoulder, handing me something i had dropped. 
it was a "good call" going to NYC...

Comments