dirdy (super muddy) birdy 2010

my sister in law biz and i after the run!
my sister in law sent a link to my brother about an event called the dirdy birdy 5k. an interesting name for an interesting event. given that i am planning a 5k--- i have wanted to volunteer or partake in as many events as possible to get exposure on how to organize it.
hmmm, what did i take from this event? simply put...have fun!!
actually...make that super crazy, muddy, beer drinking fun while wearing costumes...this is what i'm talking about.
there wasn't much that seemed official. well, we officially started and there was an official finish but there were no chips and times...it didn't even seem like there were many runners. not as in there weren't many people there--rather the people that were there seemed to be better at drinking beer, costume design, and having fun. we didn't drink before the event. it seemed unwise given my inherent clumsiness and the fact that my foot was only freshly healed and its surrounding muscles weak and rusty. instead of drinking i duct taped my shoe and ankle for both support and to help keep my shoe on.
there was a 1k event for the little ones first. it was adorable and inspiring to watch them...many also adorned in boas and costumes. they really went for it. an almost 5 year old girl took 4th place overall. i asked a little boy for some pointers; he was hesitant at first...but soon became animated and told me not to be scared.
there was a delayed start time. something about traffic...people didn't seem to mind.more pre-party! ha
my niece verbena was with and although she was super tired, she didn't seem to get tired of people watching. i mean, even a 9 month old recognized that this event was not like most 5k's.
before it started, they had to wet down the track one more time. my sister in law and i stood adorned in plastic grass skirts, goggles, and stomachs filled with nervous thunder.
and suddenly we were free to run...right into the mud. honestly, this is a motocross track with giant jumps that are like mountains and the bottom of the jumps--like valleys--which are capable of holding some serious slop.
at first it was just everyone trying to fend for themselves...some guy grabbed at me going up the first climb and managed to rip off my skirt...thankfully i was clothed beneath...i'm even more grateful i'm not rapunzel!
i had been nervous in general--the whole experience was new...but i was most nervous about my foot and the rest of my body that had not been exposed to anything like this (ever) let alone after an injury...but it held up well. half the course was hog heaven while the other part was dry like the desert--and then we would come back around to the mud...there was a slip and slide that would have been one of the funnest things this 30 year old has ever done, if it wasn't laying atop earth sprinkled with shards of tiny gravel. 
the little boy had warned me of this...thankfully i only slid about 4 inches and was able to get back up to slide down on my feet. i may sound like a wimp but i'd rather go to a professional when dealing with exfoliation.ha!

we had to complete 3 laps and by the end...the track was destroyed. there wasn't a sign of traction on any climb and i had to resort to the rope a few times. nearing the end, a guy dressed in a wrestling singlet number, wait, a thong/speedo singlet with a fat suit on told some little boy that i didn't look muddy enough-- so he should fling mud at me. of course, being a little boy, 'nuf said, threw a mud glob right at my butt. nice aim exclaims fred flinstone Chippendale...( he sort of looked like that)
i wasn't as muddy on my upper body because despite my brother thinking i would fall...i never did. granted, i kind of wish i would have-- at least intentionally fallen...because that what the event is about...mud. besides, doesn't mud have healing properties?
at any rate when i finally finished i was super happy and proud that we did it. during the run i started thinking about my costume for next year.one thing is for certain...i will wear shorts instead of pants. the mud weighs everything down. my pants probably weighed 10 lbs by the end of the event.
i realized how much i want to partake in more events...like this...not because i am trying to get my best 5k time, although that would be awesome...but because it reminded me to have fun. not take it all so seriously...you can exercise and have fun...and meet some crazy people too and some super considerate ones like guy who helped his girlfriend and then my sister-in-law get up the hill.
it would have been easy to stay home and watch tv or just let another ordinary night happen...but why not try something new? something that helps inner city kids as well as our own inner child? 

Comments

  1. Playing in the mud is ALWAYS fun. Glad you had a good time EM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon! If you can find an event like this in Helena, I will totally be there. I would like it to be a little longer, maybe a 10k or half marathon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment