soundtrack @ 2:17am

have you ever purchased the soundtrack of a movie you really loved? expecting it to sound the same as when you watched the movie?i have.
and many times i have almost been...disappointed. not so much that the music isn't good but that there seems to be something missing. i'm a dual brained ambidextrous silly soul who likes a visual with her words. in high school creative writing was by far my favorite class...mainly because i would find an image in a magazine or my mind and form a haiku or free verse poem; it always felt complete. both the words and the image could have stood strong on their own but together made it even better.
my thinking is that a soundtrack is the backdrop to a visual...and sometimes when the two aren't combined it doesn't feel right. salt without pepper kind of thing.
perhaps that is why i struggle selecting music to listen to and often find myself driving in silence....the music doesn't fit the scenery or the mood of my drive.
i love music, but am no expert. don't really know genres and don't know album details...for me music is all about how it makes me feel.
most of the time i don't even know the lyrics--which means i've loved songs that had lyrics that were not so pleasant and have disliked songs with wonderful messages...that's the beauty of any type of art...although i may have a preference, i can still appreciate the stuff that isn't my style...
on my drive to portland to get to the airport i didn't have a music 'plan' although it was important that i listen to music that kept me awake...silence doesn't work well when i'm tired.
cds are like piles of leaves in the fall...strewn throughout my car. often times, i just grab a cd from a pile and give it a go...to see how it fits.
on this early early morning my two selections were architecture in helsinki and monsters of folk.
i am totally in love with the song heart it races. probably played it 50 times. it has a great beat and makes me feel like dancing (imagine that) figure once i get my groove back (still taking notes from stella on how she got hers back) this will be one of the first songs i dance to.
monsters of folk is a new purchase-i heard a sample song at starbucks and then saw the cd on sale...which is usually the only reason i buy a cd...that and i heart cd art (Tangent alert!!--one of my dream jobs (in my head) would be to help artists design their albums)
while everyone else was fast asleep or headed that way, i was going against the grain. my day was just starting and it was going to be a long one...luckily these two cd's made me feel awake and alive. they seemed to fit the mood of my drive--adding to the soundtrack of my life.

Comments

  1. I know what you mean about movie soundtracks. Some times the movie has too much music to fit it all on the soundtrack and they inevitably leave off the one song you wanted to hear again. Otherwise, listening to a movie soundtrack just makes me want to see the movie again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment