i'm back--sort of

saturday, i stepped foot in the gym. first time in nearly a month. the first time sans cast or air boot. i was asked to coach the 9 am class since our coaches were at  regionals. given that i really want to become a coach, it sounded like a no brainer to say yes.
but with the yes came a strong sense of fear. the fear that reminded me i haven't been to the gym in a month. i've been lazy and feel like i've let myself go---blah blah blah...and so the not so great feeling story would go...
but let me share with you the 'better feeling story'
that morning i woke up super early because i was excited. it would be my first day back and it would by my solo attempt at coaching a class with veterans and rookies alike. the clock kept ticking away and eventually it was time to head out. as i pranced down my stairs (sort of--very unevenly) my mantra was "you are confident-you are passionate-you are you, embrace it"
my pattern was to worry that i wouldn't do as well as the other coaches--but what good was thinking like that going to do me? i just needed to focus on doing the best that i could...take what i've learned from them and add my own 'flare' to it.
so i pull up to the gym. there was only one member there ready to work out.
ok, i thought. this could be an interesting class of...one! ha ha! part of me wanted to giggle...maybe everyone saw that i was going to be coaching and dodged me like the plague. i erased the dry board so i could fit ONE name on it...but then a few more people showed up and then a few more. all in all it was a pleasant class of maybe 10? there were mostly vets which is a little intimidating since most of them can lift more than me, not to mention they have actually BEEN working out....ha ha!
but something inside of me felt connected and calm and confident. the fear that had swarmed within like angry bees had now fallen asleep like a cat in the sun.
we didn't do a group warm up. instead i told them to get their heart rate up and start working on shoulder mobility...they would be doing shoulder press and Cindy--shoulders needed to be prepped.
we went through the main points of the shoulder press. what to do and what not to do. after they went for 3 attempts we moved onto Cindy. she's an AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) in 20 minutes of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 15 air squats. i went through expectations. full range of motion ONLY...chin above the bar. i reminded them that this is the CF standard...not just me acting like a drill sergeant.
once everyone was set up at their station gabe plugged in his ipod to provide the workout music. it was a great mix...and the crew ended on a funky michael jackson mix that i of course---wanted to dance to.
the energy of the class was great. they were open and willing to let me lead. at one point i even demanded their attention....and they listened.
oh, and they were all very sweet when my attempt to see if i could still do a pull up (silly self doubt) after being out for 2 months...went wrong. guess i underestimated my residual strength... i managed to bonk my head on the beam and yes! everyone could hear it.
kyle suggested wearing a bubble contraption so i don't hurt myself. thanks for the idea, although sadly, i am fairly certain even that wouldn't help!
the class pushed themselves and i did my best to motivate rather than frustrate...
i liked to remind them that they are rockstars totally capable of kicking cindy's butt!
robin and katy are SOOO close to doing unassisted pull ups and i hope to be there the day they do! you go girls! summer did a great job and was a good sport given how new she is. gabe did it rx'd and josh killed it by a billion rounds. kyle rocked it and is determined to work on push ups. megan was going as hard as possible and her mom leann stuck to the band she started with and got her chin up there every time. julie is just impressing me like no other. i had her use a dual band system and she demolished her pull ups!!
soo impressed with my class!
afterward i had them jog an 800 to cool down and then we sat around and chatted. it felt SOOOO good to be back. it felt like i was home...

Comments

  1. Your first time coaching solo, that is so cool. I'm proud of you girlie. Keep up the good work. And don't mess up that foot again by trying to do too much too soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment