'broken foot gate'

Broken Foot Gate is starting to get to me.
initially i was in a fog of denial. i continued doing workouts using upper body and my core. this was not going to be a set back for me. i'd come too far to have to 'start over'
so i went about my "normal" routine...well, sort of. now pull ups involved the extra weight of the cast and timing anything seemed as pointless as trying to train a turtle how to sprint. my goal was just to move my body...broken pieces and all.
how ignorant was it to think that my foot wouldn't sweat if i wasn't really 'using' it? Mucho! i remember busting out in laughter one day while working out...because it felt like my cast had peed itself. nope, just sweat!
gross thought, right? but sort of funny too.
as the denial wore off...excuses set in...like the fact that a couple of weeks after it happened, i had a house sitting gig on the other side of town. this wouldn't have been a problem except that driving with a cast is like driving with a brick for a foot. wait, i mean, it's like driving with a brick around your foot...so it's not AS unsafe...ha ha! (so if you see a white camry...you might want to get out of the way!)
needless to say, i didn't drive to the gym.
next on the"excuses to not work out" list: work and work related stress. last week consisted of long hours and a lot of uncertainty. uncertainty that felt like an elephant sitting on my chest. too hard to workout with an elephant on my chest...
last monday we found out how the company would be split. now it's just a different type of stress. there is limited time to absorb all that needs to be learned. and limited patience to tolerate certain co-workers.
all my life i've used exercise as a release. (i REALLY miss my release)
some people go shopping, i like to run and lift and push myself as hard as i can.
granted, even when my foot isn't broken i still struggle with and stress out about not feeling like i'm good enough...
should and could be better, right?
but my body feels taxed after a good workout...and while some people frown upon taxes, i'm more than happy to pay for this feeling.
we have this one lifetime; my recent yogi tea tag read "the body is a temple. take care of it" it's a blessing to have an abled body. one i often take for granted.
we are willing to take care of our cars, our houses, the ones we love...yet it seems really hard to give ourselves that same treatment. we deserve to feel good. not to mention it makes life a heck of a lot easier. during my injuries the dr's have always told me that i'm fortunate to be as healthy as i am...because it will heal faster.
that makes me remember why i can't get down about this...that i still need to find ways to choose health over self destruction.
it's been nearly 2 weeks since i last stepped my broken foot in the gym-and i'm tired of making excuses...
admittedly, i am almost nervous to. it feels like i've let myself go and don't want people to think...wow, what happened to emilee? this may sound silly or egotistical...but what i mean is: i feel like i'm letting people down. like i should be a better role model. to show others that you can still be active even with an injury. take the lemons and make some lemonade.
it is the trying times that cause us to tap deeper into our hearts. speaking of heart, the owner of my gym has a huge one...he had a cast on his left wrist for an entire year (i can't imagine) but it didn't stop him from pursing his dream of quitting his job so he could own and run a gym; he felt frustrated and annoyed but he turned that into fuel. he turned his supposed set back into a learning experience.
my lesson in all this is...it's time to cancel the reservation to my pity party and start focusing on planning my healing celebration. 

Comments

  1. Yeah! Get off your butt and get back to the gym girl. No more excuses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment