cast-rophobic

last night, i had an itch for the first time and it was awful.
mostly because my initial reaction was to...scratch it. of course forgetting that the Great Cast of China was vigilantly on guard. my access had been blocked. stranded on an island, options limited. no one to see my S.O.S.
to compound the annoyance, i am house sitting and don't know where there might be a rod, ruler, or chain saw.
chain saw? listen, i get SUPER claustrophobic. even in casting room b, the walls at one point seemed to move closer and closer. there was a small part of me that felt comforted by the new cast. my leg felt like it was getting a hug.
but affection can be awkward and who wants something or someone to hug you for two weeks straight?!
so the buzz of a chain saw, mixed with an elevated heart rate, called for some breath work and self talk.
it will pass, the itch isn't that bad...eee eee aaaah aaaah
when all else failed to calm me, i snuck under the covers hoping to smother the itch...
and in true 5 yr old fashion, i gave a shout out to the Itch Fairy and asked him/her if they could do me a big favor and sprinkle some anti itch powder down my cast while i was asleep.
this morning when i woke up, there was no itch and i found myself having a greater appreciation for my cast and its purpose.
sometimes the the thing that feels most constricting is that which is offering us the most protection/love/and support.

Comments